Mid-Level Software Engineer (Full Stack)
LOCATION: HQ London
iRiS is the global market leader in guest facing technology, providing an innovative cloud platform and app portfolio for the hospitality industry, since 2010. iRiS is one of the top Microsoft Azure partners in the UK, having enabled 1000’s of properties across the global to deliver a fantastic digital guest experience. iRiS work with many of the world’s top hotel chains including Marriott, Hilton, Mandarin Oriental, IHG and Soho House.
Allowing guests to check-in/out access their room and order food at Soho House’s new Mollie’s Motel and Diner in Oxford, enabling guests to control in-room systems from their iPad at the Waldorf Astoria, Beverly Hills and allowing Marriott Loyalty members across the globe to order food from their mobile phone is all in a day’s work at iRiS. As part of our in-house agile development team, you will have exposure to the most exciting projects in hospitality as we continue to disrupt the industry with our relentless approach to digital innovation.
To cater for our extensive growth, we are recruiting for the position of Software Engineer to work on our Microsoft Azure-based Guest Experience Platform (GXP). The role will include the full development lifecycle of analysis, design, development and automated build, testing and deployment.
This is an exciting and challenging role, offering a genuine opportunity to work on a cutting-edge PaaS solution. Working in a supportive and high performing development team, the successful candidate will be exposed to advanced agile development techniques and cutting-edge cloud delivery automation practices that allow fortnightly releases and a constant stream of innovation to customers.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
· Take ownership of our SQL Azure databases, ASP.NET web applications and background services from an architectural and coding perspective to ensure they are functioning beautifully
· Work within a cross-functional Scrum team to propose, evaluate and execute the development of new hospitality system integrations and a wide variety of product features from our extensive product roadmap
· Co-ordinate rapid, smooth and successful feature releases in close collaboration with systems engineers and other stakeholders
SPECIFIC DUTIES TO INCLUDE
· Working in collaboration with our Product Owners and Scrum Master to provide estimates, refine the backlog and help prioritise development work
· Managing your workload collaboratively using Visual Studio Team Services
· Working in collaboration with members of our UX/Design department to build new and engaging user experiences
· Working in collaboration with Systems Engineers to automate build and deployment activities
· Working in collaboration with Technical Pre-sales to shape/steer the 3rd Party system integration elements of new business opportunities
· Following a test-driven development approach, ensuring our platform is fully tested in an automated fashion at the unit and integration level
· Embracing our agile development culture and the Scrum development process – you will strive to improve yourself and your team’s collective capability every sprint by contributing to retrospectives, planning meetings and other Scrum ceremonies managed by our highly experienced Scrum Master
· Providing end-of-sprint demos of development work and improving visibility and understanding of cloud-based software development throughout the organization
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
· Educated to degree level (1st or 2:1)
· At least 2 years commercial .NET development experience
· Well versed in the C# programming language, .NET framework and Visual Studio
· Strong understanding of object-oriented engineering principles and design patterns such as dependency injection
· Exposure to cloud environments (AWS, Azure) and distributed cloud-first service development patterns – message bus/queues/background workers etc.
· Experience of writing and consuming web-based API’s
· Understanding of single page applications written in AngularJS or React (more in depth experience definitely a plus)
· Confident with T-SQL queries and database design/performance optimisation
· Advocate of TDD (Test Driven Development) and test automation technologies to drive quality
· Experience of working within a distributed source control environment (GIT) is essential
· Excellent organisational skills, attention to detail, proven problem solving skills, ownership of work.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to articulate complex technical scenarios to stakeholders with varying levels of technical knowledge
· Ability to get things done in a fast-paced, truly agile working environment
· 25 days holiday + your birthday + bank holidays
· Flexible hours (40 hours a week)
· 4pm Friday finish
· Quarterly appraisals & development planning
· Regular socials & company events
· Excellent Central London location at a WeWork office